Monday, June 6, 2011

To intervene or not to intervene

About 4 years ago, I read a book entitled The Purpose Driven Life. I can't remember much or exact details, but essentially the book claimed that everything had a purpose. Every single death, job loss, relationship, every moment was a test of who we are as God's children (like the story of Job). And while we may not know his reasons, we can rest assured that some good will come of it. In addition to the book, I've had Christians tell me that God allows things to happen as a way to draw you back to relying solely on Him, it's a way of getting your attention.
I've decided I think this is all a crock of shit.

I believe we have choices and there is not one sole destination for our lives.
He gave us choices.
Now we can rely on God to guide us through prayer and Bible study, but we decide where we go. I think God is big enough to use our choices to draw us closer, but he doesn't orchestrate a long chain of events, rather events occur because we chose to act one way or another. Nor does he cause something to happen as a means to gain our attention. People die because of other people's choices. It's not that He allows these things to happen as a test or a lesson for us to learn--He only allowed us to act on our own. He didn't create cancers, or birth defects, or world hunger--we did.

We can choose to let Him comfort us. We can choose to let Him lead us, or we can choose not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment